Wednesday, June 25, 2014

F-35 News. USAF gets bad news on the F-35 fire...UPDATE from ELP Blog...

via Don Bacon....
Today, Jun 25"We found additional evidence and information in the initial safety investigation to decide to continue with the suspension of [F-35A (?)] flights,” said Air Force Lt. Hope Cronin
This is getting juicy.

The USAF is good, but NAVAIR is better.  I can't see the F-35B/C continuing to fly if this is engine related.

I expect to see the entire fleet grounded in 24 hours.

UPDATE!
ELP Blog is reporting the following (subscribe to his page for the best info on this incident)...
Having seen how the aircraft mishap process actually works (multiple times), this news from an F-35 fan-based source states that the mishap aircraft is still where it ended its take-off roll (this changed with one refresh of the browser page a minute after I read it, see below).... that F-35 flying won't continue until the known cause of the fire appears and is dealt with.
“We will resume flying once we know more about the cause of the F-35A fire that occurred at Eglin AFB earlier this week,” Capt. Richard Ulsh, a spokesman for Marine aviation, said in an email.
Interesting how the C is not mentioned. Grounding the A would be a very USAF-like response. No one wants to risk their career on another mishap until things are known.
The F-35A struck by fire as it took off from Eglin Air Force Base has been secured and is under armed guard in a secure hanger and the Air Force and Marines are not flying their versions of the Joint Strike Fighter program until they know more about the fire’s causes.
I expected as much....like I said earlier, Amos and Lockheed Martin execs might be pushing to continue as normal but the pros in NAVAIR would be crucified by the flight community if they did.  We're looking at a defining moment for the program.  I really believe that corners were cut and safety margins pushed to get the plane into service.  The idea was to get the plane bought and then fix it once it was in service.  This will put the brakes on those plans and now we can expect it to get the scrutiny it deserved.  Even better?  They won't be able to ramp up production so it will remain unaffordable.  This plane is dead...they just don't want to admit it.